Well, not the kind transmittable by mosquitoes. I have the kind you contract from Pinterest. After my brush with yellow in our bathroom makeover, I guess I have it on the brain.
With the crazy heat of the last few weeks, my front planter beds were looking a little post-apocalyptic. Needless to say, it was time to swap things out, and, strangely enough, I went with a happy yellow color scheme. It isn’t my fault that the nursery is overflowing with Rudbeckia (aka, Black-Eyed Susan) this time of year. I’m just trying to help out.
Tucked in amongst the lavender and Susies are also some adorable yellow Coreopsis with maroon centers, and way down along the wine bottles is a new find for me called Cuzco, which is a low-growing spreader with the tiniest yellow daisy-shaped flowers….I’m in love!
Along with the new garden color scheme, a few other details needed to be coordinated on the front porch: the potted plants, the front door wreath, and doormat.
The wreath is your standard, craft-store grapevine form, that I just swapped embellishments on. This is pretty common around here; I like to re-use the form over and over again and just hot-glue whatever works onto it to decorate. In this instance, I needed some yellow up there, and the only thing I could find laying around was an assortment of buttons. Not my most creative moment, but it works, nonetheless.
For quite awhile now, I have been wanting to try painting my own doormat. Allegedly, this works, but I am always a skeptic until I try it for myself. Officially, I am never going to buy another decorative doormat; from here on out, I am making my own. This was SO easy, and worked so well….I’m annoyed I didn’t try it sooner! I’m also annoyed that I didn’t aim a little higher with the design, but since it was a trial run, I kept it simple….here’s a little tutorial for anyone interested:
I started with a rubber-backed coir doormat from Home Depot that cost all of five bucks.
Then, I used painter’s tape to mark off some horizontal stripes. I just eyeballed this–no measuring….perfection is overrated.
The tape did not stick very well to the mat (next time I think I will try duct tape or something with a little stronger stick), and I was concerned that when I hit it with the yellow spray paint, the tape would lift and compromise the edges of the stripes. To combat this, I sprayed from as directly over the tape as I could and then crossed my fingers. To my surprise, it worked like a charm.
This makes me really happy. I love doormats. And yellow.