This cute little garland is definitely largely to blame.
So I started by collecting a bunch of twigs from my cedar trees in the backyard. I chose sticks that were roughly an eighth of an inch in diameter, more or less. When I had found enough of these, I washed them (sticks are DIRTY, it turns out), and then cut them down into 2-1/2 to 3 inch lengths. I cut approximately 45 little pieces. And then I laid them out to dry and get a tan.
While they dried, I went to work making my little hearts. Now, I know there are lots of crafty options for making these little guys easily(hole punches, scrapbooking bits and bobs), but I never do things the easy way, it seems. And I just wanted to make these from stuff I had sitting around at home–so that meant I traced and cut out each little heart by hand. Using a random notecard, I drew my first heart and cut it out to my liking, and then used that to trace 44 more. A little labor intensive, yes. But worth it because I didn’t have to drag my butt to the craft store.
After I had cut them all out, I spaced them out on a piece of tinfoil and slapped some red paint on them.
While those dried, I gave the tiny sticks each a rough coat of white paint–not quite a solid coat so that they had a white-washy kinda vibe to them.
Next I needed feathers…where to get some feathers…?
I then cut each feather down into a sort of chevron shape (each feather yielded me two little arrow tufts), and then laid them out on tinfoil and slathered varying hues of acrylic paint across them. Again, it’s a lot easier to just go and buy colored feathers from the craft store, but what else was I going to do with all these darned chicken feathers? (Don’t worry, more crafts!)
When that had set, it was time to assemble the arrows. Hello, hot glue gun! I simply hot-glued a heart and a feather to each little painted stick.
It was at this juncture that I decided my little arrows were in serious need of some glitter. So I gave each heart another coat of paint and a healthy dusting of red glitter and then let them set.
To assemble the garland, I used thin, galvanized, craft wire, which I wrapped around the center of the first arrow shaft a few times (you can super-secure this by hitting the wrapped wire with a dot of hot glue, but I didn’t need to do that). Approximately five or so inches down the wire, I did this with the next arrow, and so on.
The spacing and quantity of materials I used yielded me about 14 feet of festiveness.
Oh, I am just getting started on the Valentine’s Day fun…never you worry. 🙂